*Please remember to read with your child nightly. Here are a few tips to help you.*
Pre-reading strategies: Take a picture walk through the book, discussing pictures. Have your child find some familiar high-frequency words on the page.(The 35 Kindergarten sight words)
1. Have your child point with their finger as you read the title. Then have them read the title and point.
2. Next, have your child point with their finger as you read the page.
3. Then have your child point with their finger as they read the page.
4. Continue reading the story following steps 2 and 3.
5. As a follow up, you may want to reread the story together as your child points. Or you may want to listen to your child read independently and offer support.
Last Modified on September 4, 2012
175 Erwin Hills Rd. Asheville, NC 28806
In compliance with Federal Law, Buncombe County Schools administers all education programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age or disability.