Lunch Menu Site Directory Contact Volunteer Partners

Biltmore Pod
Biltmore Pod
 
Biltmore House

Biltmore Village

In 1888 George Vanderbilt began to buy land in the mountains of western North Carolina.
 
He honored his Dutch roots by naming his 125,000 acre estate Biltmore: "Bilt" from Bildt, the town in Holland from which his family had come and "more" or moor, an English word meaning rolling countryside.
 
Following the land purchase, the village of Biltmore was incorporated as a town in 1893.