Martial Arts Club
Go Do Shin
The “Go Do Shin” or the Five Fold Path of Shito-ryu Karate-do as written by Kenwa Mabuni, founder of Shito-ryu Karate-do, is written below. This is also part of the larger Guiding Principles all Karate-ka need to live. The students recite the English portion at the end of each class.
- Never forget the spirit of first beginning (will/determination)
- Never neglect courtesy and etiquette (moral virtue).
- Never neglect effort (growth/development).
- Never lose common sense (common sense).
- Never disturb harmony (peace).
The “Karate Code” as written by David Krieger (founder of Peace Now, organization for nuclear disarmament) is listed below. This is part of the larger Guiding Principles all Karate-ka need to live. The students recite them at the beginning of each class.
- Henceforth, I shall faithfully train to strengthen my mind and body.
- I am willing to endure rigorous training to achieve my goal.
- As my strength increases, I shall seek to cultivate a gentle heart.
- I shall not use my skills outside the dojo except in the most extreme circumstances.
- At all times I will try to avoid inflicting injury upon another person.
- I will not brag about my skill nor use it maliciously.
- I shall train with the spirit of humility.